Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Intermatic TN311 15 Amp Timer for Indoor Lights and Decorations,

Intermatic TN311 15 Amp Timer for Indoor Lights and Decorations, Grounded

Intermatic TN311 15 Amp Timer for Indoor Lights and Decorations, Grounded

Nearly a year after I purchased this, I finally sat down and wrote this review. While this timer makes a decent amount of noise as it ticks along, I can still say it is still kicking and turning my lights on and off for my plants without fail, this does the job, what more can I say!

Very nice, heavy duty timer for most household items by a well-known company that builds quality products. I opted for the heavy duty grounded timer since I didn't want to overload a basic one should the need arise. I was familiar with their pool equipment timers that lasted for many years, so I felt comfortable with this product from the outset. However, this product was purchased for a different application.

The timer was almost silent while operating with a very, very slight vibration. It comes with three sets of timer switches, allowing 3 cycles a day. A switch on top of the unit can override the timer to turn lamps, etc. on or off. It accepts a three-prong plug for safely grounding the attachments. Built in Mexico.

The description at the time of my order called it a "combo" unit, leading me to believe two units were included. However, only one unit was provided. Customer Service at Amazon sent me another unit at no additional cost. The description may have been in error and corrected by now.

UPDATE: At almost two months old, the timer keeps perfect time (no typical loss of minutes), is quiet, and operates flawlessly.

This is the only timer model I've ever purchased that has not eventually failed on me. I have owned several different outlet timers from several different manufacturers over the years. One by one they have all failed and been replaced by one of these. I am now using this timer exclusively, for the sole reason that these are the only ones that have never needed to be replaced.

Simply put, they are solid and long-lasting. If you don't need better precision or more settings than this model provides, then this is the one you should get, hands down.

I'm a grad student and I leave for school at 8am and often don't come back until 6 or 7pm. When I get home I am always starving but am usually too tired or unmotivated to cook. Before the intermatic, I wanted to use my crock pot but since it doesn't have a timer, I had to leave it on for 10 hours which would overcook my food. With this gem, I can set it to turn on at 3 and off at 6 so that my food is the perfect temperature when I get home. I absolutely love it.

The unit itself works fine.....BUT......After a fight / argument w/ Amazon's customer service (didn't sound like anyone from the USA) they almost lost 3 PRIME accounts along w/ all future orders. This call taker wanted to argue on what a COMBO Pack really means. He just could not understand when the listing has Size : Combo Pack listed a normal person would think it means two. This person argued over what Combo means stating he looked at the manufacturers website and that I was wrong. He and even questioned my level of education and not knowing what combo means. I threatened to cancel the Prime Membership along w/ this order. To which he replied " I will be happy to do that for you" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Over an 8$ part...... At that point I insisted on his supervisor who w/in 10 min handled the issue like it should have been handled in the first place. If the quality of that initial call taker is what Amazon is contracting with they need to look at what they are doing. Also... BEWARE ....if Amazon does not change the listing.... YOU ONLY GET ONE of these on a COMBO PACK !


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • This heavy-duty, grounded plug-in timer is easy to program and uses no electricity to operate
  • This outlet timer provides up to 3 On/Off settings per day for control of your lamp, fan, air conditioner, holiday lighting and more
  • This reliable 24 hour mechanical timer features a 3-wire grounded plug and receptacle and is backed by a 5 year warranty
  • This indoor home-use timer switch plugs directly into the wall
  • Features an easy to use manual override (on/off toggle)

Description

This energy saving heavy-duty grounded timer plugs directly into the wall and controls 120-Volt air conditioners, heaters and any other heavy-electrical load up to 3 ON/3 OFF settings per day. Rated for loads up to 15 Amps resistive and 1875 Watts tungsten. This timer is suitable for use with indoor Christmas lights and holiday or seasonal decorations.



I am a proud new mom to turtles. I wanted a timer so that they can get light on them without me having to remember. Trust me I would forget. I saw that my friend had the same timer and I bought it. It works great. It is easy to program and the instructions are both in a leaflet and on the back of the timer itself. I highly recommend it for reptiles and for those who want to set timers on their lights when they go on vacation. I own some of those timers too and this one is better. It is way easier to understand and program.

I've been using these timers for about 10 years now and have never replaced them. I am looking to purchase additional timers for more holiday lighting, however, I was disappointed to learn both Home Depots in my town had discontinued these and replaced them with a not-so-user-friendly brand. I was so pleased to see Amazon selling them. The other brand works, but they cannot compare to Intermatic. The Intermatic are easy to use, precise and reliable. I have never had a problem with them, in fact, I have been using them to turn on and off a variety of July 4th, Halloween and Christmas decorations throughout the year inside and outside my home including multiple light strands wrapped inside and outside my barn, around trees, around lamp posts, wreaths, garland, reindeer and other ornamental lighting. They're so easy to set. You can set up to three occurences by just moving around the little clips at the appropriate start and stop times. The little notch on the wheel grabs the clip and turns it on, then spins around and turns it off at the next clip. If you want to bypass the timer settings, there is a little knob to turn it on manually. I've always used the timers with name brand heavy duty extension cords from the home improvement stores. Never a blown circuit or plug or timer! And these timers are turning on and off a good amount of electricity. I can't say enough good things about this timer. Thanks for offering these Amazon.

These are, as far as I know, the only timers that have designated "on" trippers and designated "off" trippers. I plug my crock pot or other device into this when I want it to turn itself off if I forget to do so. So, I just install only one of the "off" trippers. I place no other tripper on the wheel. I use the manual switch on the timer to power up the crock pot and set the "off" tripper at some time when I want it to turn off. Then, if I am going to be really late coming home, I know it will shut off before a dry crock pot starts blazing. And, because I only installed an "off" tripper, it will never start up the crock pot again on its own.

Other timers that have trippers have trippers that are all the same. If I used one of those, then the timer would turn off but it would also start up the crock pot the next day when that tripper was encountered in the next 24 hour cycle.

I like to slow cook meats over 12 or more hours and I put it out in the garage so it doesn't stink up the house. (Lots of spices, chilis, and onions slow cooking over many hours can impregnate your drapes, carpets, and woodwork with aromas that won't go away for days and days...so I put it in the garage.)

I could certainly envision a day when I set the food to cook, but I would get called away on a late night job, It would be just like me to come home tired, go to bed, and forget entirely about the food cooking in the garage. In good weather, I'll park my car outside. It could be days and days before I remember the food in the crock pot out in the garage.

With this Intermatic timer, no problem. Fire department didn't have to come. It shut off the crock pot and won't start it up again, and again, and again like other timers would do.

These timers will work with inductive, resistive, magnetic fluorescent, and electronic fluorescent, including twistie bulbs. It's got a 15 amp 3 prong outlet. Motor turns the wheel. Simple. Reliable. I like it. The operative logic of such a simple device is bullet proof.

What if the power goes out? It starts up again when power is restored. But, oh, you say, your food will be rotten if it's off more than a half hour? No problem, Just look at the wheel when you retrieve your food. You set the wheel for the correct time when you started cooking. If the time is off more than whatever period you think is unsafe to eat? You will know.

Super easy to setup and use. I have become frustrated with the newer digital timers, and I've tried several. They are a pain in the butt to set up. The digital read-outs are so small that scanning electron microscopes will barely detect the font. And of course, all these units are made in China now, so the build quality (especially on the digital units I've tried) seems very poor.
This little old-school gem is a piece of cake to set up, and it's very reliable. If you have a power failure, or someone pulls it from the wall, and you need to re-set it, that takes only seconds to do. I am very much a tech-loving kind of guy, but sometimes the old school analog version of a product is better. This is a case in point.

First of all I have not received my timer yet. Any way I am only going be using this to turn on and off my 2 fans for my dog. I do however have 3 timers for my candles in the windows. I do not know who puts it out. One timer I have for years and it is still working. The other 2 it is a good 6 years with no problem. It does get a little warm when you feel it. The melting part per someone's statement I do not get. I do not doubt but the timer does not use a lot of power so that should not happen. I have never worried about my timers. This is a 3 prong and honestly it should be okay. Just my opinion. Went home last night and felt my 3 timers and they are cool. Hopefully the new ones will be the same.
Well I got my 2 timers. I am taken by the red and green clip. I actually only need one red and one green. I test both out. They are not warm to the touch and I am having no problems. I use my timers for the candles in the window and I will be using one to turn off and on my fan for my dog. Now I have 5.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment